Terri Comeau - Your Personal Beachbody Coach

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Blog Post #1


My very first blog entry!  How exciting.  I think I will use this entry as a way to introduce myself and explain why I have decided to start blogging.

2012 was a year that transformed me in many ways.  I’ve had to make some very tough “grown-up” decisions.  There have been many moments where I wish someone would just tell me what to do, but nobody could.  On April 16, 2012 I received the news that I tested positive for the BRCA 1 gene mutation (L999x Deleterious mutation to be exact).  What the heck does that mean?  It means that I have the “breast cancer gene” and that I have an 87% chance of getting breast cancer in my life time.  On top of that I have about a 45% chance of getting ovarian cancer.  So what am I supposed to do with that information?  My choices for the breast cancer were to either be screened with a mammogram and/or MRI every six months with the hopes to catch breast cancer early, or have a Prophylactic Double Mastectomy.  My choices for the ovarian cancer have been to be screened every six months with blood tests for CA125, ultrasound and then eventually have my ovaries removed.  Hmmm, none of these choices sound like fun to me.

I sought out numerous doctors’ opinions in the hope that one of them would tell me that screening is the best option and that if I ever get breast cancer they will catch it early for sure, 100%.  That didn’t happen.  I met with six different doctors and every one of them urged me to have the PBM (prophylactic bilateral mastectomy).  And so, I’ve scheduled my PBM for January 31, 2013 with Dr. Campbell (breast surgeon) and Dr. Redmon (plastic surgeon).

Here is my brief family history of breast cancer.  My Aunt Rainy (maternal aunt) was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1983 when she was 35 years old.  She had a double mastectomy, but chose not to undergo chemotherapy or radiation.  Instead, she went on a macrobiotic diet.  Everything was going well until her cancer returned three years later.  By this time, it was too late.  The cancer had already spread to her brain.  She passed away in 1987.

In 1984, when I was just 10 months old, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She was only 22 years old.  She had a single mastectomy with reconstruction, and did not need any chemotherapy or radiation.  She is 51 now and has been cancer-free ever since.

In 1994, my Mom-mom (maternal grandmother) was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She was 72.  She underwent a single mastectomy and, I believe, radiation.  To the best of my knowledge everything was fine after that.  However, during her visit to me in Florida in 2011 she was complaining of pains where she had her mastectomy.  A few weeks later her doctor confirmed it was breast cancer again.  This time, it had spread to her neck, spine and head (not her brain, but the skin on her head).  She’s been on chemotherapy for the past year and a half, as well as going through a round of radiation for her neck.  I must say, for a 90-year-old woman with metastasized breast cancer she sure has a lot of energy!  

What I hope to gain out of this blog is to gain a better understanding of my emotions during this process.  I’d like to use this blog as a way to speak openly about my experiences and feelings throughout my journey.  I’m not defined by my BRCA gene mutation, but so far this journey as brought  me a new self awareness and love for life as I don’t take things for granted and learn to treasure all that God has blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment