Terri Comeau - Your Personal Beachbody Coach

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fills and Enlightenments

It's been nearly six weeks since my prophylactic mastecomy. I started my fills in my expanders three weeks ago. I can definitely notice a difference and dont look so unproportionate in shirts. When a plastic surgeon does fills he is injecting saline into a port that lies just beneath your skin. By having fills done once a week it stretches your skin and muscle (the expanders are placed behind your muscle since the skin is so thin after a mastectomy). Some women opt to have direct-to-implants, but I wasnt a good candidate for that. If I had chosen that route I probably would have ended up smaller thsn I was before surgery. With expanders I can essentially choose what size I want to be.
 
Fills dont necessarily hurt when the doctor is doing them. The needle looks a lot worse than it is. I usually don't feel the injection on my right side since I am still numb there. I do feel it on the left,  but it doesnt hurt. The doctor has been injecting 50cc's on each side during each visit. Since we are stretching my skin and muscles I am usually pretty sore for about a day after my fills.
 
Going through this whole process has been very enlightening for me. I could've had breast cancer, but I don't. I have been given a chance at life that so many women don't have. I need to cherish everything I've been blessed with - my husband, my son, my family and friends.  We only get one chance at life, so we shouldn't waste it wondering what could have been or feeling sorry for ourselves.
 
Here is Charlie at three-months old.  He's given me my strength and courage throughout this journey.  He gives my life great purpose!
 
Until next time... xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment