Terri Comeau - Your Personal Beachbody Coach

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dear Aunt Rainy...

Dear Aunt Rainy,

I was only three-years-old when you passed away, but I still have so many wonderful memories of you.  I remember swinging on your porch swing with you.  I remember playing with your dog Bruno.  I remember getting stuck in one of your window panes that separated the living room and dining room.  You came running down the stairs with your hair still up in a towel to "save" me.

I also remember when Mom-mom tried to explain to me why you didn't have your beautiful hair anymore.  "It's because Aunt Rainy is very very sick," Mom-mom told me.  I didn't understand why you were so sick, but when I would visit you at the hospital you seemed so weak and couldn't play with me.  Then came March 20, 1987.  I was wearing pink cordoroy pants and a white tee shirt with stars on it.  My mom and I were walking down the stairs when Pop-pop got a phone call.  Everyone started crying and told me that you went to Heaven.

You battled breast cancer for four years.  You were such a fighter, but in the end cancer took you away from our family.

When I first found out about my BRCA1 mutation I wished so bad that I could talk to you about it.  I wanted to know what you would have done if you knew about our genetic mutation.  But I couldn't ask you, and I will never know what you would have done because you're not here.  Because you aren't here, I have my answer.

Here I sit, two days post PBM and even though the pain from the mastectomy and expanders is very hard to tolerate, I know I made the right decision.  Sadly, you didn't have that opportunity to save your life.  I hope you are proud of me, Aunt Rainy.  I know you were by my side in the operating room watching over me.  You're my angel.

XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment