Terri Comeau - Your Personal Beachbody Coach

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Before my prophylactic mastectomy, I ran 3 to 4 times a week.  I was running 5k's and slowly losing my baby weight.  I was a slow runner (my fastest time for a 5k was 37 minutes), but I was making progress.  I wasn't very active after my mastectomy, and I gained twenty pounds.

A few weeks ago I started to run again.  I downloaded the 10k for Pink app (it's free and very similar to Couch to 5k), and started running again.  I thought I could start with Week 4 Day 1, which is running for 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, run for 5 minutes, walk 2 minutes and repeat.  I barely made it down the block!  The next day I ran Week 2 Day 1(alternate running 90 seconds and walking 90 seconds six times), and I did much better!  I'm two stubborn to start at Week 1 Day 1.

This morning I decided to give Week 4 Day 1 a try again.  I took Charlie to the trail and went for a jog.  When I bought my jogging stroller two years ago I thought it would make running easier because I would have something to lean on.  I was actually surprised at how difficult running with a jogging stroller was.  It was a total body workout.  My arms were more sore than my legs.  So I must have been crazy to give it a try again today.

The trail I run on has one bridge with a very steep incline.  It never fails that I always have a running interval when I reach the bridge.  Today, with the 90 degree Florida heat and humidity making every step a struggle, I pushed my way to the top of the bridge.  I really did not think I would make it, but when strangers were passing me on bikes and telling me that I was doing a good job it made me feel proud.  Not only did I make it to the top of the bridge, but I kept going.  I ran 2 miles today.  I averaged 14 minutes miles, but it's better than the 18 minutes miles I averaged earlier in the week.  I felt so accomplished.  Then I realized that I needed to turn around to get back to my car.  So I did it all over again!

My post-workout breakfast consisted of two of my favorite things... coffee and Shakeology.  Oh was it so delicious!

1c. Coffee
1 Scoop Vegan Chocolate Shakeology Mix
A Splash of Organic Soy Milk
A Dash of Cinnamon
Ice

(For more Shakeology recipes visit www.beachbodycoach.com/TerriComeau)

Later in the afternoon, I decided to test out a new recipe, a quinoa breakfast bowl.  This delicious meal is full of protein (12g) and only 162 calories per serving.

Ingredients:
1/4c Quinoa
1/5c Water
1c Kale
1/4c Onion (diced or sliced)
3 mini Pero Sweet Peppers, sliced
4 Egg Whites
Tumeric
Sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Bring Quinoa and 1/2c of water to a boil.  Simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, steam kale, onion, peppers and a dash of tumeric for approximately 10 minutes.

Scramble egg whites, salt and pepper until cooked.

Once finished, mixed everything together and add Parmesan Cheese.

Serves 2 people.

Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ThatBrcaGirl?ref_type=bookmark

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/Charliesmommey

No comments:

Post a Comment