Terri Comeau - Your Personal Beachbody Coach

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Happy BRCA-versary

April 16th marked my one year "BRCA-versary." I don't think being BRCA positive is really a means for celebration, but it was a moment in time that changed my life. I used to pretend that I was invincible from getting breast cancer. If I didn't think about it then I wouldn't get it. That is a very dangerous thought process and quite ignorant for someone with a strong family history of the disease, but it's how I lived prior to April 16, 2012.
 
After I received the news (over the phone!) that my BRCA results were positive I immediately went into a confused and sad frame of mind. Why is this happening to me? How did this happen? My life is over! 
 
I had very little knowledge of what my options were to prevent myself from getting breast cancer. Sadly, this happens far too often. Women receive their BRCA results from a doctor rather than a genetic counselor and their mutation isn't explained to them. All my doctor told me was that I have a mutation and I should have a preventative mastectomy with expander placement as soon as possible, before I have any more children.
 
I'm so glad that I didn't rush into making any decision right then. Instead, I began researching. I called my OBGYN who referred me to speak with an oncologist. Then I called Susan G. Komen to find local support groups. They directed me to FORCE (www.facingourriskofcancer.org). That is where I found an abundance of support. I learned that speaking to a genetic counselor could give me unbiased information on my options with surveillance and surgery. I began talking about my BRCA mutation to just about anyone who would listen - FORCE message boards, Facebook support groups, friends, strangers, my dogs (okay, maybe not the last two, but you get my point).
 
I did my best to cover all of my options to find what was the best decision for me.
 
Eating a healthy diet and exercising - it's important to do this anyway,  but could I prevent breast cancer by eating broccoli and cutting out junk foods? Probably not and there is no guarantee.
 
Surveillance - I was really leaning towards surveillance at the beginning of my journey. Most doctors would recommend alternating a mammogram and MRI every 6 months for high risk patients. After my first MRI, which showed a suspicious spot, and an ultrasound (everything was fine), I realized that early detection is key to beating breast cancer, but prevention is even better.
 
Prophylactic Mastectomy - it reduced my risk of getting breast cancer from 87% to about 2%. I would rather have a mastectomy and reconstruction while I was young and healthy rather than waiting to get breast cancer and have to go through surgery AND have chemo or radiation.
 
I waited nine long, anxiety-filled months before having my mastectomy.  It's been 13 weeks since underwent a surgery that forever changed my life and my perspective on life.  I could have easily been diagnosed with breast cancer, but God gave me a chance to take my destiny into my own hands.  Not many people get that.  So I've made a vow to cherish every moment I have with my little boy, my husband, my family, my friends and my dogs.  I won't take things for granted anymore, especially life because it's too precious and can easily be taken away from you in the blink of an eye.  Watching my little boy splash in the waves at the beach or laughing at Mater as he watches Cars for the 50th time or staying awake to watch his angelic expressions that he makes as he sleeps are what makes my existence meaningful.
 
My life was so different a year ago.  I didn't think I would have the courage to face the toughest decision of my life, but here I am.  I made it.  I survived.  I am stronger than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment